NVIDIA right this moment unveiled the NVIDIA® Jetson™ TX2, a credit score card-sized platform that delivers AI computing on the edge — opening the door to powerfully clever manufacturing facility robots, industrial drones and sensible cameras for AI cities. What NVIDIA means by “at the edge” is computing energy dealt with inside the system. Certain processing can happen on the system earlier than it’s moved to say a cloud primarily based platform.
In a presentation to the press Deepu Talla, VP of the Tegra enterprise unit at NVIDIA, outlined the advantages of AI computing on the edge which embody improved bandwidth, diminished latency, enhanced privateness, and higher availability. Availability is essential in areas the place web connections and different communications channels are unreliable. Mr. Talla is accountable for deploying AI expertise in autonomous machines and clever units, resembling video analytics, manufacturing facility automation, and UAVs.
Jetson TX2 affords twice the efficiency of its predecessor, or it could actually run at greater than twice the ability effectivity, whereas drawing lower than 7.5 watts of energy. This permits Jetson TX2 to run bigger, deeper neural networks on edge units. The consequence: smarter units with increased accuracy and quicker response instances for duties like picture classification, navigation and speech recognition.
“Jetson TX2 brings powerful AI capabilities at the edge, making possible a new class of intelligent machines,” Talla mentioned. “These devices will enable intelligent video analytics that keep our cities smarter and safer, new kinds of robots that optimize manufacturing, and new collaboration that makes long-distance work more efficient.”
The Jetson TX2 joins the Jetson TX1 and TK1 merchandise for embedded computing. Jetson is an open platform that’s accessible to anybody for growing superior AI options on the edge — from enterprise firms and startups to researchers and highschool college students.
“For years, NVIDIA has demonstrated its commitment to FIRST through multifaceted support by providing Jetson developer kits for robot builds, online training resources, and team and event funding,” mentioned Donald E. Bossi, president of FIRST, a global Ok-12 nonprofit targeted on science and expertise. “Through these efforts, NVIDIA is helping to inspire more young students to become innovators and inventors.”
Two drone firms which are integrating NVIDIA’s platform are Teal Drones and enRoute.
System Specs and Software
Key options of Jetson TX2 embody:
- GPU: 256-core NVIDIA Pascal™ architecture-based GPU providing best-in-class efficiency
- CPU: Dual 64-bit NVIDIA Denver 2, Quad ARM® A57
- Video: 4K x 2K 60fps encode and decode
- Camera: 12 CSI lanes supporting as much as 6 cameras; 2.5 gigabytes/second/lane
- Memory: 8GB LPDDR4; 58.three gigabytes/second
- Storage: 32GB eMMC
- Connectivity: 802.11ac WLAN, Bluetooth
- Networking: 1GB Ethernet
- OS Support: Linux for Tegra®
- Size: 50mm x 87mm
The Jetson household is supported by essentially the most complete SDK for AI computing, JetPack three.zero,
which makes it simple to combine AI into all kinds of purposes, and help the
- TensorRT™ 1.zero, a high-performance neural community interference engine for manufacturing
deployment of deep studying purposes
- cuDNN 5.1, a GPU-accelerated library of primitives for deep neural networks
- VisionWorks™ 1.6, a software program improvement package deal for pc imaginative and prescient and picture processing
- The newest graphics drivers and APIs, together with OpenGL four.5, OpenGL ES three.2, EGL 1.four and
- CUDA® eight, which turns the GPU right into a general-purpose massively parallel processor,
giving builders entry to large efficiency and power-efficiency
The NVIDIA Jetson TX2 Developer Kit, which incorporates the provider board and Jetson TX2 module,
could be preordered right this moment for $599 within the United States and Europe and can start transport
March 14. It shall be out there in different areas within the coming weeks. The Jetson TX2 module will
be out there in Q2 for $399 (in portions of 1,000 or extra) from NVIDIA and its distributors
world wide. The worth of the Jetson TX1 Developer Kit has been diminished to $499.