While the legislative landscapes all over the world differ in relation to drones and their use, it’s in all probability truthful to say that the demographics of pilots are pretty comparable throughout the board. Today some attention-grabbing analysis has been launched by UK distributor DronesDirect. Among the headlines are the truth that the age group most certainly to personal a drone is the 55+ class.
We can all argue concerning the extent to which drones are reworking industries. But, if current analysis is to be believed, there’s no arguing that the know-how can be serving to to interrupt age-related stereotypes. One of the commonest is that the older you get, the extra tech-phobic you change into. For some purpose, drone pilots are bucking that pattern.
In distinction to different mainstream tech gadgets, Rather than being dominated by children, the vast majority of drone customers within the UK (31%) are aged 55 and over, in comparison with simply 10% of customers within the 18-24 class. Those aged 45-54 are the age group that’s subsequent most certainly to personal a drone (28%), whereas simply 12% of 25-34 year-olds are drone pilots. One in 5 35-44 12 months olds say they personal a drone.
Taking Tech Outdoors
Drones differ from the vast majority of different devices available on the market, in that they will solely actually be loved open air. That explains why pilots confound widespread preconceptions about know-how fans and wish to get exterior.
According to the DronesDirect report, the 60% of drone customers are additionally eager photographers, and 45% would moderately go mountain climbing or on a stroll of their spare time when not utilizing a drone.
And what concerning the spectre of drone racing, the futuristic sport that’s impressed million-dollar worldwide broadcasting offers already? Well, though it’s a pastime rising in reputation, the report means that it’s one thing simply 6% of drone pilots within the UK really do.
The Gender Divide
If there’s one space wherein drone pilots do tick the stereotype field, it’s by way of gender. According to the report, the overwhelming majority of UK drone pilots (96%) are male. Considering the way more balanced nature of pictures as a pastime, this enormous disparity is a bit shocking.
How Much Do Drone Pilots Spend?
Even inside the shopper market, the value of drones varies dramatically. And to an extent you get what you pay for. But how a lot are UK pilots keen to spend on a drone? According to the report:
Drone customers are joyful to put money into their pastime and whereas most (12%) are planning to spend between £300 – £500 on their subsequent drone, one in 10 are ready to spend as a lot as £1,100. Another 10% say they’d anticipate to spend between £150 and £300 on a drone sooner or later.
When it involves month-to-month spend on their pastime, the vast majority of drone customers (60%) would anticipate to spend as a lot as £99 a month. More than one in 10 (12%) say they’d spend between £100 and £200 on a month-to-month foundation to get pleasure from their pastime.
More than half of drone customers (54%) personal simply the one drone, whereas almost 1 / 4 (24%) personal two of the gadgets. Nearly one in 10 (9%) personal three drones however only a few individuals personal greater than that, with simply 5% proudly owning 4.
Here are the highlights of the report
- Most drone customers (68%) use their drone for leisure functions (e.g. flying within the park and many others).
- 63% use their drone for videography.
- 60% of drone customers cite pictures as one in all their hobbies.
- 70% of drone customers have used the know-how to seize novice pictures and movies.
- The overwhelming majority (80%) of drone customers within the UK are conscious of the Dronesafe.uk “Drone Code” guidelines and rules.
- 47% of customers say they at all times abide by the Information Commissioner’s Office tips on drone utilization.
- 40% of drone customers are conscious that their pictures and video footage is topic to the Data Protection Act.
- The majority of drone customers (65%) can be keen to have their system electronically registered.
- 61% of individuals suppose the introduction of a drone flying security examination would improve secure utilization.
- Nearly half of customers (49%) would use a drone supply service sooner or later.
Again, a few of these findings will stretch throughout worldwide borders higher than others. UK pilots’ willingness to have their system registered (65%) in all probability sits greater than that quantity for his or her US counterparts, for instance.
But it’s definitely an attention-grabbing have a look at how the pilot demographics are shaping up. Take a have a look at the report for your self, right here.